Sewn: Saltspring Maxi Dress

I don't often buy patterns, but I wanted a maxi dress this summer and couldn't find anything I liked in the store. This is the Saltspring dress by Sewaholic. I had this crepe fabric lying around forever, and thought it might be a good choice for a maxi dress. The end result is so breezy and twirly and comfortable.

Maxi Dress

The construction of this dress was fairly simple, and the instructions were easy to follow. I made two changes though. I omitted the back zipper, and shortened the outside bodice by 1 inch to reduce the blousiness. I also had to shorten it, because I'm short. I'd probably have to do that with a store bought dress too, mind you.

Maxi Dress

It's lined with white satin, so silky smooth on the inside. I had to also line the skirt because the crepe was too see through. As a result, it's a little heavier than I'd prefer for a summer dress, but it feels luxurious.

And it was windy when I was trying to get photos. It would have been amazing to capture the movement in it, but it's tough. I'm going to enjoy this dress though. It looks so much better in person, and I'm so happy with it.

I'm already planning future makes: a camisole? a short dress? a skirt? So many possibilities.