Recipe: Mom's Banana Bread

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Confession time - I used to hate banana bread. It was the only dessert my mom knew how to bake, and I was allergic to most other fruits so it made regular appearances. Instead I dreamed of cheesecake and cookies.

Fast forward to today and I've got a new appreciation for the humble loaf. I've tried other recipes but mom's is hands down  the best. It's light, fluffy, not overly sweet, and comes out with a cracked domed crust. It's also practically fool proof. Trust me, I've made all kinds of substitutions and fumbled measurements or added extra bananas and it still always turns out good. Thanks mom!


Mom's Banana Bread
Makes one large or 2 small loaves (2 small ones in the photos above)

Ingredients:
• 2 or 3 ripe bananas 
• 3/4 cup yogurt or buttermilk or 2/3 cup regular milk + 2 tbsp lemon juice
• 2 eggs
• 2/3 cup oil
• 2 2/3 cup flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• (optional) 1 cup chopped nuts

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 350. Grease loaf pan.

2) Mix bananas, yogurt, eggs, and oiL.

3) Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl and add banana mixture to it. Add nuts.

4) Pour into prepared pan and bake 35-45 minutes. Done when top is golden brown, cracked, and stick inserted comes out clean.

Go forth and use thine overripe bananas.

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top