Some weeks I'm lazy and don't want to feed my sourdough starter, because I've accumulated too much or I don't have 8 hours to make bread. Here's a recipe that takes about 3 hours from start to finish, and uses unfed starter. It's a good way to use up extra starter, plus it's packed with nutty flavour.
Quick(er) Sourdough Nut Bread
makes 2 loaves
- 227 g unfed sourdough starter (1 cup)
- 340 g lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 14 g sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 300 g unbleached all-purpose flour
- 300 g spelt flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- Mix sourdough starter, sugar, instant yeast, and water.
- Add flours and nuts.
- Add salt.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until you get a smooth dough ball.
- Let rise in a covered, oiled, container for 2 hours, or until the dough has doubled.
- Cut into two and shape as desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 hour.
- Slash the bread loaves.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until golden brown on the outside.