Maternity Capsule Wardrobe

As much as I love sewing, my energy is way down these days. Coupled with all the house renovations, I haven't had much energy left to do too much maternity DIY.

Up until the second trimester I managed to fit mostly into looser regular clothing, but 5 months in, non-maternity wear isn't comfortable most of the time. Buying maternity clothing was overwhelming at first, because I had no idea what I might need, but I'm happy with the basic wardrobe I've ended up with.



In case you're not sure what you might need to buy for maternity wear here's my list of essentials:

Casual
Work and special occasions
Around the house
Mix and match with oversized or tops, cardigans, tie waist coats, flat shoes, sandals and boots. 

For pants and bottoms, I've found that low waisted styles tend to slip and I prefer a full tummy panel which will be wearable for all nine months. Until about 4 months, belly bands and elastic waists were enough to see me through until I was big enough for maternity wear. You may be different so go with whatever feels most comfortable for you.

When it comes to undergarments I don't recommend spending too much, because your size can change rapidly and you might need a new bra in a week's time. Buy them as you need. 

Tips: You can find maternity wear that can work both post-pregnancy and as non-maternity wear. For example, look for maternity dresses or tops without obvious side ruching. You can also find maternity shirts that look good slouchy. I'm a fan of long shirts and oversized sweaters any day, so I know some of these will still get regular wardrobe rotation afterwards.