DIY Cork Coasters

Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Coasters

When we lived in our old apartment with ancient furniture, it didn't really matter if we used coasters or not. Our tables had rings and watermarks, so it wasn't a big deal. Now is a different story. Suddenly coasters seemed like a pretty big deal since we had new wooden tables. I thought I would buy some, but then I remembered the big pile of cork in the garage. I decided to stencil some designs and cut them out.

You can buy a sheet of cork at a craft store, but also in flooring section of the hardware store. This cork was leftover under layer for the floorboards.

Untitled

The trickiest bit is the stencilling. A foam brush or a stencil brush works well. To stop smudges, you need to put just a thin layer of paint down at a time, and dab up and down, instead of brushing the paint. Every once in a while you'll also need to wipe off the back of your stencil and give it a rinse.

Untitled

When the paint dried, I used a mug to trace out circles for the coasters. If I did this again I might go with squares, because they're easier to cut out than circles. Cork is soft enough to cut with scissors but the edge won't be crisp unless you use a knife.

Untitled

Lastly, I brushed a bit of gold paint along the edges both to stop the cork from crumbling, and for a little extra decoration. I think they would have looked awesome with pink and turquoise edges too.

And that's it! Brand new coasters for free. I also made a couple of hot pads / trivets with the leftover cork. Why not?

Coasters
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top