Alteration: White Dress to Crop Top and Skirt

Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Pink Jacket 021

This little white dress has been kicking around my closet since I got married in Greece 8 years ago. It's a cotton dress originally from Anne Taylor Loft, and I got it on sale for 20$ in the dead of winter, which was perfect for a civil ceremony (with a warm wrap) at the court house.

But... since I wore it to my wedding, I couldn't think of it as anything other than bridal wear until I found a tutorial online (that I can't find anymore!) for turning a strapless dress into a crop top and skirt set. Perfect! Now I can wear the bottom of it as a skirt if I want to, or a tiny bit of skin barring dress if I'm feeling adventurous. It's really just a tiny tiny bit, as you can see from the photo, less than an inch really, and I like it that way.

WhiteCropTopB4

This alteration was painstaking. I carefully unstitched the skirt from the top, then refinished both raw edges. I added an invisible zip to the top, and kept the original zipper in the skirt (it's a side zip). I also took in the bottom of the skirt by a couple of inches to make it more straight rather than a-line.

WhiteCropTopAfter

So that's that! Looks like something I'd want to wear on a tropical vacation somewhere instead of my patio in the freezing cold spring. It was really cold out there. I'm glad you can't see me shivering.
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top