Sew & Tell: Kimono Sleeve Robe

Sunday, March 16, 2014
It's rained and rained, so I haven't had a chance to take many sewing photos lately. I haven't felt crafty lately either, just in the mood to curl up under thick blankets and sip on hot tea. All winter, I've been shuffling around the house in fuzzy robes and sweats, and my old robes were starting to get worn out so I decided to make a new one.

kimono robe


I had this funny velour (if that's what it is) fabric for a long time. Its silky if you smooth it in one direction, but bristles if you go in the other. It looks a lot like crushed velvet but it's got stretch, and it shed when I cut it. However, because it's a knit the edges didn't really need any finishing and the construction was pretty simple.

There are only 6 pieces:
  • One rectangle for the back
  • Two fat rectangles for the sleeves
  • One long thing rectangle (turned into a tube) for the shawl collar
  • Two rectangles with one corner cut off in an angle for the front panels
  • One long thing rectangle (turned into a tube) for the belt
It hits my knees, its warm, but thin, and because of the odd fabric, it stays in place instead of sliding open the way silkier fabrics do. I'm pretty happy with it!

Want to make your own? Here's a tutorial for something similar: Kimono Cool by Elle Apparel. Of course you can use satin, or silk, or jersey too.
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top