Introducing The Sourdough Workshop

Tuesday, January 21, 2014
MixedLoaves

Over the last two years, I've been working on my sourdough baking technique. No one in my home ever baked bread, so I had no idea what it was supposed to look like or feel like when I started out. Many failed loaves and experiments later, I've gotten a pretty good hang of it.

Why bake sourdough?
  • Instant yeast can be expensive. If you maintain your sourdough culture it can last for years and all you need is flour and water.
  • It's natural. There are no chemicals or preservatives involved.
  • The long fermentation period sourdough requires breaks down more of the gluten in the bread. 
  • You can create non-sour bread or sour bread with the same sourdough starter.
  • It tastes amazing! Did you know that acid is sometimes added to store bought bread to increase the tang? I had no idea what real sour dough tasted like until I baked my own.
Working with natural yeast can be unpredictable at times, but the results are worth it. Even if you're a beginner, you can make the most amazing bread at home with minimal work. This workshop is for beginners and includes all the things I wished I knew when I started baking sourdough.

Here's what's in the workshop:
  1. Tools of the trade
  2. The care and feeding of your starter
  3. Mixing and fermenting the dough 
  4. Techniques for shaping your dough
  5. Slashing bread
  6. Modifying the sourness of your bread
  7. Tips for cleaning up
Then it's off to the recipes!
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top