Homemade Bagels

Saturday, November 16, 2013
Homemade bagels. Haven't taste tested yet... #baking #bread


Please excuse the yellowish cast, E took the camera for work, so I snapped this on my phone. My kitchen has horrible lighting, and unless I wait for a certain one or two hour window on the weekend, the photos just don't happen.

BUT to the bagels, OMG these were delicious! They tasted exactly as a bagel should, with the right chew from being boiled. Make haste to the  here: Chow Bagel Recipe. I didn't have malt, so I substituted some maple syrup (what Canadian house doesn't have maple syrup?) and didn't notice a huge taste difference.

I should have checked out the comments before hand, and would agree: cut down the salt to 2 tsp instead of 2 tbsp. Also reduce the water to 1 1/4 cup. (I had to add about 1/2 cup extra flour because it was too sticky)

Here's a tip if you're making boiled pretzels or bagels: after you take your bread out of the boiling water, let it sit on a drying rack for a bit, otherwise you may end up with soggy bread, and who wants that?? That was my mistake the last time I tried pretzels.

Also, this dough, shaped differently, also would make the pretzel of my dreams... topped with some aged cheddar = bliss.
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top