Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sunday Baking: Pretzels - Take 2

Trip to Germany started a #pretzel obsession. Trying a new recipe. These are ready for a boil. #baking

I had a second go at pretzels this weekend. Through the magic of Twitter, someone suggested that a boil is the key to the chewy texture I've been craving. I gave these lovely little pretzels a hot bath in water and baking soda. You can see here how much they puffed up.


The boiled pretzel is significantly larger than the unboiled pretzels. They're also a lot bubblier. An egg wash, and some grated aged cheedar, later, these are what came out of the oven.

Pretzels out of the oven. Verdict? Taste spot on but too soft. #baking

The verdict? Not quite there. I realize that a lye bath is called for in traditional German pretzel making, but I want to come as close as I can in taste at least.

There's one more pretzel recipe I'd like to try. I'll let you know how it goes!

Also I'm playing around with Instagram, and haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet, so please pardon the blurriness.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comment