Old Towel to Dishcloth

Sunday, May 26, 2013
Dishtowel2


One of the nine circles of hell has to be a place where everyone is forced to endlessly sew quarter inch bias tape. Maybe it's just me, but it always seems to take forever. I mean, you have to sew each seam twice and make sure those tiny tiny edges overlap. AHHH

Was it worth it?? From now on I'm sticking to bias tape that's at least a half inch thick when finished, because UGH. So anyway, I'm done ranting.

While I was cleaning up the apartment, I pulled several threadbare towels from the closet. I didn't want to throw them away, so I turned them into dishcloths, like this:

Dishtowel4

The loop in the corner lets you hang it from an oven or fridge door handle, or a kitchen hook if you have such a thing. The process is fairly simple. 


Dishtowel1

Take towel, cut it into quarters (or your desired size). Add bias tape to the raw edges. I used the already finished edge as the bottom of my towels.


Dishtowel5

Here is an alternate version that doesn't involve tiny tiny folded edges. I took a piece of ribbon and attached it to the towel with a zig-zag stitch. Much faster! Also, possibly just fine since they're only kitchen rags, really.


Dishtowel3

And here is a stack of freshly sewn dishcloths. So far so good! I have a few more old towels, and may whip up a few more. 

Note: After putting the bound hems in the wash, I found that some of the towel fabric escaped my binding. I would recommend using a wider seam binding if possible. At least a good half inch would be much better, and look nicer.
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top