Sew and Tell: Peplum Top

Peplum1

It's the return of the horsie fabric! FYI the fabric is leftover from the 70's. My mom planned to make a dress out of it, but never did. Years later, after having used it for a table cloth (among other things), I turned it into this peplum top. (Last week I used the rest of the fabric for a long tunic) A jersey would have been easier to work with, but I think it turned out just fine!

PeplumTop3
Really it's just a tee cut short, with an added ruffle on the bottom.
I'm surprised it turned out so nicely. First off, I took a regular t-shirt pattern as a template, and cut it off where my natural waist began. Then I made a circle skirt, 8 inches wide, to form the peplum.

Because the fabric had holes in the design, similar to lace, folding over the edges to finish them wasn't an option; you would be able to see the folded fabric through the top layer. So, I used fold over elastic to give a neat edge to the knit fabric and add a little bit of structure/stiffness. I was careful not to stretch the elastic because I didn't want to gather the knit. Bias tape would have worked, but I didn't have any on hand.

PeplumTop2

You know, I wasn't sure I'd be a fan of the peplum top, but they're really quite flattering. The peplum gives you a waist, and hides any bulk around the tummy. I do love something you can just pull on, and looked put together in without much fuss. It's as comfortable as wearing a t-shirt too.

What do you think of peplums?