My 2013 Clothing Challenge

Thursday, February 21, 2013
Thinking About Small by Freddie Alequin

What happens to old clothes? Yes you can donate them and they may get more use... but in the end there's still going to be all this synthetic, non-biodegradable material in the world. I imagine that at the very end of their lives these bits of poly and plastics will end up as garbage, pile up in the ocean gyres, self-assemble, gain sentience, and conquer the world like a very pissed off Godzilla. (It could happen right?)

You get the idea. It's just... why are we making all this stuff just to throw it away?

SO I think I'm going to try something different this year. I'm not going to buy any clothes.

The challenge: 
  • Go through 2013 without buying clothing. (Basics such as socks and undergarments excluded)
  • Go through 2013 with only one trip to the fabric store. (This requires serious pre-planning of projects)
I don't have a huge closet, but I don't wear all the clothes I have in there. I'd like to figure out why. Maybe I can sew some alterations that will make my clothes more wearable. Maybe I need to figure out a sense of personal style, play with layering, and get out of my comfort zone (jeans and a sweater). I'm not sure yet.

I also would like to keep going through my fabric stash. Maybe I can make clothes instead of buying them. If anything, it will be more practice with the sewing machine. I've got patterns that I haven't used, and maybe its time to finally sew them.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I'm kind of excited to see what comes out of this!
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top