Soda Bread Recipe
1 round loaf
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk / sour milk
- Optional: 1 tbsp of fennel seeds, rosemary, or anise. (The licorice taste of the fennel is my favorite)
- If you don't have buttermilk on hand, make sour milk: add 1 tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice to the bottom of your measuring cup, then fill the cup to make one full cup of milk. It's done when it starts to curdle, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the middle of the dough and gradually mix in the milk.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until it comes together into a ball.
- Flatten into a ball, and cut an X into the top.
- Bake for 30 - 45 minutes, or until the bread is golden.
Note: How do you know if your bread is fully cooked? Turn it upside down and tap it. If it sounds hollow, its done! If you are making a crusty country bread, or something with a nice crust like french bread, you should also hear it crackling as it cools.