If you've never tried winter melon, its very similar to a zucchini. If you can't find any winter melon, chayote, daikon, or zucchini would work as a substitute.
Winter Melon Soup
- 3 carrots
- 1 inch of ginger (peeled)
- 12 shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup daikon, cubed
- 1 winter melon, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 prawns (shelled)
- 4 cups chicken / veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- green onion for garnish
- optional: 3 pieces of bacon, diced
- Throw everything into the pot except for peas, prawns, and green onion. Boil until the winter melon is tender.
- Add prawns, and peas. Cook until the peas are done, and the prawns are pink.
- Garnish with green onion.