Ruffled Bolero

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Have you ever tried drafting your own sewing pattern? It's not as hard as it sounds! This was my first attempt and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's not perfect, but I'd say the experiment was a success.


To start, I traced the rough outline of an old blazer onto some newspaper so I knew it would fit around the shoulders. I taped the newspaper pieces together and tried on my pattern to make sure.

I had to tweak the design at this point (It was too short in some places), and make the curve in the front of the bolero, but it was easily done with some tape, extra newspaper, and scissors.

The sleeves of this bolero gave me the most trouble because the lining didn't match up and I wasn't sure how to add the ruffles. However, now I have a pattern that I can reuse. I'm pretty confident that if I sew this again it will turn out just fine :)


Pattern making tips:
  1. Make sure to add a seam allowance to your pattern pieces. I forgot and so there was not enough fabric to sew when I went to cut it out.
  2. Cut out the lining at the same time as the body of the pieces and save some grief later. Mine did not match. If you look closely you can see that I had to add some extra lining in the middle.
Happy sewing!
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top