- 1 old t-shirt
- Scissors or a rotary cutter
- A needle and matching thread (optional)
1) Cut your t-shirt into 1 inch strips.
2) Take each strip and gently stretch it out lengthwise. You will end up with a curled tube of fabric.
3) Now it's time to get creative with your options!
a) If you prefer an industrial/edgier look, then you can stagger the t-shirt seams randomly. Just tie an extra scrap of fabric around one end to keep the necklace together and you're done.
b) If you prefer a neater look, align the t-shirt seams. Wrap a leftover bit of fabric around the seams to hide them, and use a needle and thread to stitch it into place. Alternately, you can just take a scrap of fabric and knot it to hide the seams.
And you're done! Jersey doesn't fray so you don't have to worry about unraveling.
Other ideas for personalization:
- Braid your fabric tubes.
- Mix strips from different colored shirts.
- Use a contrasting colored fabric to cover up the seams.
- Add some chunky beads into the mix.