Recipe: Tropical Fruit Salad with Mint Syrup

Thursday, April 22, 2010
This was a bit of an experiment. I'm allergic to many fruits so I'm always on the hunt for something that I can actually eat. Luckily there are lots of tropical fruits that fit the bill when I can find them. If you've never tried dragon fruit before, the texture and taste is very much like a kiwi, minus the sourness. Starfruit is harder to describe. I think the flavor is similar to a plum, but not as sour or sweet. It also depends on the ripeness.

My supermarket score: dragon fruit (pink) and starfruit.


Preparing the fruit. You see all that pink stuff on the dragon fruit? It looks pretty but it's really just a thick peel. You can remove it off pretty easily if you cut the dragon fruit into quarters length wise. The flesh inside is white and speckled. The starfruit just needs to be washed and cut. When you do slice it up, it looks like little stars, hence the name! Fun. I want to add fruity stars to all my dinners now.


Tropical Fruit Salad with Mint Syrup

 Ingredients:
  • 1 dragon fruit
  • 1 starfruit
  • One sprig of mint
  • 1/2 tsp wine vinegar or 1 squeeze of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp water
 Directions:
  1. Wash peel and cut the fruit how you like.
  2. In a small pot, add honey, vinegar, water, and and mint. Let it simmer together on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Pour the syrup over the fruit, and mix. 
 The salad passed the mom test! She wanted to know what I put in it and helped herself to seconds. ~sniff~ I feel like I've finally graduated to the next level in the kitchen. Thanks mom!
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top