I want brainnnss... Zombie Brain and Vampire Bite Cupcakes

Friday, October 30, 2009
Our house smells positively delicious! I'm kind of squeamish when it comes to Halloween food. Shortbread witch fingers, deviled eyeball eggs? I can't do it! There's just something too creepy about them. I don't want to put those in my mouth. Sure they're all made of things I love, but still.

On the creepy scale these cupcakes are pretty low (insert relief here) but they're still wicked enough for me to take to our Halloween party tonight.




I got the idea for the brain cupcakes from Not Quite Nigella. I used a boxed marble cake mix and used food coloring to tint the 'white' cake green. I used cardamom infused milk instead of water. The flavor's ok, but the cardamom's a bit too subtle. I also did not add any jam/blood to the cupcake to save some time (I had 4 dozen to bake and ice!). I think this calls for a re-do in a non-Halloween version.

In case you're wondering why they're green, I figured zombie brains are kind of gelatinous, moldy, and starting to decay, hence the shade.

The vampire bite cupcake idea is from Baking Bites. I used white cake mix, added in some blackberry and strawberry jam into the batter to make a pink 'flesh', and put in a cup of juice instead of water to add extra pink extra fruitiness. Again I didn't fill these with jam. I know how long that takes.

Now I really have to finish up my costume. I'm running out of time!
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top