Chasing Bunnies - A Day Trip to UVic

Monday, October 5, 2009
"I have to do some work in Victoria. It shouldn't take very long. Want to come?"

Did E even have to ask? Of course I wanted to come! I booked the day off work, and we woke up early to hop on the ferry to Vancouver Island.

Our ferry was one of the new ones they've been getting ready for the 2010 Olympics. It was really very nice inside - and not at all ferry like. They've got flat screens and internet access. It was very comfortable inside, but it was a gorgeous sunny day and we claimed a spot on the outer deck to watch the scenery go by. It was a bit windy, but we saw a few eagles, and kept an eye out for whales. (We saw some dolphins or porpoises on the way home!)

E had to do some work at the University of Victoria. I'd never really been there so while he was busy I explored the campus. You know I was surprised, I'd heard that there was a rabbit problem there, but I never actually imagined just how bad it was. I went a bit bunny crazy and ran around snapping photos... trust me I have a lot more...very 100 meters you were GUARANTEED a rabbit or two.

A lot of the buildings were fairly new on campus. I'm sure if you look very closely you'll see bunnies in those photos too.

It took me about 45 minutes to do a complete circle of the university. Saw a deer, and this little mama trying to take her babies across the street in front of a bus. The driver came down and very politely herded her back onto the safety of the curb.

I grabbed a spot of grass to sit and do some writing while waiting for E to finish up. It was a very relaxing afternoon. E came and found me, and we drove to downtown Victoria to grab a late lunch/early dinner. We walked around for a bit looking for a place to grab a bite, and settled on a waterfront pub. They had an interesting beer. I tried one that tasted a bit like coriander or lemons. E liked that one better than I did. The food was satisfying.


We just had enough time left for a quick walk through downtown before hopping on the ferry back to Vancouver. I think I fell asleep in the car. Some times you just need a slow day like this one. It was a really good day.
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top