Serves 2, as a side, or 1 hungry person.
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 slices of mozzarella (in the photo I cubed it)
- 1 large portabello mushroom, cubed - you can substitute any kind of mushroom you have on hand to equal about 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cup roughly chopped watercress - including stems
- 3 cups of roughly chopped fresh spinach
- a handful of chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread: Any kind of crusty bread would work great. I used one long ciabatta bun.
- Saute the garlic in olive oil until lightly browned, then add in onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add spinach, watercress, walnuts, and season.
- Slice the loaf in half and lightly toast the bread. When it's toasted, sprinkle a bit of olive oil on the inner part, cut the garlic clove in half and rub the clove against the oiled surface of the toasty bread. It'll have a wonderful garlic taste!
- When the greens have wilted you're good to go. Fill up the bread with the vegetable mix, add a little cheese on top and enjoy!