Recipe: Spanakopita (Spinach Pie)
This is the easiest spanakopita you'll ever make! This is a recipe I cooked up together with Mr. K-style (the hubby) who is the Greek chef in the house. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to take a photo of it. We were so hungry I didn't want to look for new camera batteries. I found this photo online and this is how it should look like when its done!
photo by Jim Stanfield, via About.com
- 1 bunch spinach.
- 1 bunch green onion.
- 1 egg.
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- olive oil
- 12 sheets phyllo (or filo) pastry
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roughly chop the spinach and green onion. Mix the greens together in a bowl with the feta cheese, egg, salt and pepper.
- Take a sheet of phyllo, brush it with oil, and fold it in half in the bottom of a glass baking dish. Repeat until you've used 4 sheets of phyllo.
- Spread half of the green mixture on top of the layers of phyllo in the baking dish.
- Add another 3 layers of phyllo. Make sure to brush each layer with oil.
- Spread the rest of the greens on top.
- Add the remaining phyllo layers on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the phyllo is lightly browned.
Chef's notes: Before baking, you can take a sharp knife and cut through the top layer of the phyllo. this makes it easier to serve later (the phyllo won't crack and flake everywhere). Also phyllo dries out pretty quickly. You can set it on the counter with a damp cloth on top, or just make sure to work fast and don't take it out of the fridge until the last minute.