Sewn: Denim Camera Bag

Thursday, August 10, 2017
Denim Camera Bag

I have a hard time letting go of old jeans. Canvas is just too useful because it's durable, and comes in lovely shades of blue. One pair of old jeans was the perfect amount to make a spacious messenger bag with a few pockets.

Denim Camera Bag

There is a zippered pocket down the front under the flap. There's an open pocket in the back. I always prefer an open pocket on the rear of a purse or bag so that if I'm going anywhere I can slip in maps, plane tickets, passports, or even just napkins for easy access. There's a zippered welt pocket on the inside, big enough to hold a wallet and cell phone. Because there is no zipper closing up the interior under the flap it's nice to have the option for a little security. Our previous camera bag had a zipper for the interior, but it always got in the way so I left it out for easy access. Sometimes you just want to snap a photo quickly!

Denim Camera Bag

It's fully lined, but I also quilted a removable padded insert for the camera. It gives the whole thing some structure, and also will help with any bumps and falls. The insert is felt and reclaimed quilting batting.

Would you technically call this a refashion? I'm not sure, since a bag is not clothing, but it still fall under fashion accessories. It's definitely an upcycle. I like that it's not so obviously a pair of pants anymore, and almost like it was almost meant to be a bag.

In the mood for making? Here is a tutorial for a messenger bag. It doesn't have the same dimensions, but the idea is the same. With a little addition to the side panels you could make one too.

And to make a camera insert (for any bag) here's a tutorial.

Sewn: The Sparkly Top

Thursday, July 20, 2017
Sparkly Top

Ahh sparkles! Who knew sequins were so hard to photograph! I kept getting weird color balance errors and in the end just gave up. These photos don't do the sparkles justice. The Little Bean LOVES all things colorful, but she'll sometimes opt for sparkles instead. This is as low key as she likes to get.

Here's a closeup of the front:

Sparkly Top

This one was a result of a bit of experimentation. I took a t-shirt pattern and chopped it off mid chest. Then I gathered the remaining sequin fabric below and added a matching sheer overlay. The only tricky part was attaching the lining. I opted for one because the sequin fabric was scratchy on the inside, and if it was the kiddo would never wear it. She's a texture girl when it comes to both clothes and food. At least clothing wise, we can usually work things out.

And here's the back, with a tie so it's adjustable and she can wear it for longer:

Sparkly Top

And in moment of introspection, I realized that I only feel inspired to sew when it's sunny out. Around here those days are far and few in between. I guess that's why most of my sewn wardrobe is summery!

June 2017 Garden Update

Thursday, July 6, 2017
I hearby interrupt our regular programming to force you to gaze upon our garden. LOOK.

Garden June 2017

This is the second year after our garden rebuild, and some things are sprouting, growing, seeding. It's still a learning process for us newbie growers. It's been an unusually long winter and a wet spring in the Pacific Northwest, so nothing is as far along as it should be. The planting was delayed more than two months, so I'm not sure our tomatoes, zucchinis, and beans will grow fast enough to harvest. The growing season here (even in a good year) is super short, so it's a little dicey.

Garden June 2017

But for now, we have lettuce for months! There's more out of the frame. This much lettuce was an accident. It just spread like dandelions, because I didn't capture all the seeds last summer. I don't mind though! I love my greens. We've also got arugula and kale, plus some Swiss chard that we planted last year and sprouted again.

Garden June 2017

The currants are doing far better than when we moved in. I guess a little manure and some love can do some good. The bay leaf (first picture) finally grew a new set of leaves this year. I thought it might have died, because it was in terrible shape when we first planted it, so this makes me happy too.

But the harsh winter killed off a lot of our herbs and we had to prune back the rosemary after a few branches broke off. Most rosemary in our neighborhood died off as well. The basil I seeded a bit early, didn't even bother sprouting.

And pictured here below is the triangle of death. It's a big plot of soil that kills everything we plant except for invasive fennel that was there when we moved in. It's a fairly shady area, so not ideal for much, but this is my attempt to get something to grow. We have two kinds of hostas, a bit of mint, some shade tolerant clematis, and another shade loving flowering bush. If we can't grow food here, I'd rather have it full of greenery and flowers. Let's see how much survives! Fingers crossed.

Garden June 2017

Sewn: Adult Tee to Toddler Tunic

Thursday, June 22, 2017
Upcycled Top

This is super fast if you've already got a tunic pattern on hand. I used some leftover bits of a jersey dress for the sleeves and the neckband. The shirt had a pattern I liked, but had stretched out weirdly so it didn't fit right. I saved the bottom hem and simply cut out two pieces from the shirt. Reusing the bottom hem was also a time saver.

The neckline is a little wider on this top, and the fabric is a little stretchier, so I think the little bean will be able to wear this long into her toddlerhood.

I used the Color Blocked Tunic pattern again, only I skipped the color blocking altogether. I think the whole thing sewed up in 30 minutes, quick enough to finish while the kiddo napped. Reuse WIN. Naptime WIN.
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top